(Wednesday, July 8, 2015) – Severe conditions in the mid-north Atlantic have continued to punish the bulk of the fleet in the Transatlantic Race 2015.
Yesterday Daniel and Gretchen Biemesderfer made the decision to retire from the race after their Mason 43 Shearwater suffered mainsail and rigging damage. She is heading for the Azores. Similarly, just before midnight UTC, Carter Bacon’s Nielsen 50 Solution sustained damage to her rudder and was taking on water. She becomes the sixth boat in the Transatlantic Race to retire and is now diverting to the Azores, albeit without electronics, which went down in a previous deluge.
(Tuesday, July 7, 2015) – Gales and prolonged strong winds since the start have taken their toll as the bulk of the fleet reaches the halfway stage of the Transatlantic Race 2015.
On board the Class 40 Amhas, doublehanded crew Mackenzie Davis and Brian Harris have been forced to retire with mast issues and are currently nursing their Akilaria RC3 towards the Azores.
For those following the YB tracker, there were some nervous moments last night as Daniel and Gretchen Biemesderfer’s Mason 43, Shearwater, appeared to be slowly heading in the direction of the Caribbean. Unable to raise the crew, the Race Committee scrambled Sir Geoffrey Mulcahy’s Swan 56 Noonmark VI to assist. As they closed Noonmark’s crew was able to raise the Shearwater crew, who subsequently sent this update: “We sustained some damage: broken boom vang, traveller and importantly mainsail. We're hove to until the weather abates. At that point we'll decide if we can continue racing. However, the boat is fine and the crew are all well and in good spirits. We're all getting some much needed rest.”
Blogs from the Boats
- Pata Negra - The Last Leg (and post!)
- CHARISMA | Day 16 - spirits are still high
- CHARISMA | Day 15 - tricky job
- Pata Negra - Lands (End) Ahoy!
- TR2019 - Hiro Maru (2019-JUL-08 16:00 UTC)
- TR2019 - Hiro Maru (2019-JUL-09 13:00 UTC)
- Aegir Updte - Land Ho!
- Re: Pata Negra - Mirror Mirror on the sea...
- Pata Negra - the mountains below us
- Aegir - Day 13 - Making Water
- 2019 Corrected Finish Times
- Finish Photo Gallery
- SHK Scallywag finish photos
- Wind Conditions Enroute
- Photo Galleries
- Tracking & Media Information Sheet
- TR2019 Sat Phone List
- TR2019 Competitor Bulletin #5
- Final Sailing Instructions
- Scratch Sheet
- Yacht Club Trophy Entry List
- Social Ticket Reservation Form
- Notice of Race Incorporating Amendements 1 & 2