Sample personal equipment list provided by a 2015 skipper
- Automatic inflatable life preserver with safety harness and with crotch strap and spray shield
- Personal strobe light
- Water resistant flashlight with extra batteries
- Whistle. In 2015 Race JIV will have personal AIS Transponders.
- Base Layer - 2 Cap 1 and 1 cap 2 long sleeve shirts
- Mid layer - I will be providing a Gill I5 Crosswind jacket that will have graphics on it and can double as a mid layer.
- Capilene watch hat
- Capilene neck up
- 3 capilene under shorts
- 3 pair of capilene socks, may want to include one pair of waterproof socks
- 1 Cap 1 bottoms
- 1 pair fleece bottoms similar to Patagonia R3
- 2 pair capilene Bermuda shorts such as railriders or board shorts.
- One pair of warm sailing gloves (Look at Progloves Long Finger 7451 and Helmsman Gloves 7801 – everyone got both
- Knife with lanyard
- Head lamp - Petzl makes a good LED on that is not bulky (http://www.rei.com/product/791312
- JIV will provide Camping towel - http://www.rei.com/product/783080 - quick drying and easily wrung out - cotton probably won't make sense on this long of a trip
- Earplugs/ sleeping eye mask – if you have problems sleeping during the day of when others are snoring
- Baby wipes
- Sun hat
- Foul weather gear:
- Foul weather boots – most got Dubarry which were well worth the money
- No jeans or cotton tee shirts
- Sunshield or sun tan lotion
- Leather boat shoes will not be allowed as they do not have the best traction and are difficult to keep dry
- Boat sneakers
- IPod or your favorite MP3 player
- All clothes should be of the “quick Dry” type that can be hung up forward to dry.
- Capilene long fleece that will be worn under foul weather gear eliminating need for long pants.
- Seasick medication
- Special medications
Will be Provided On Board
- Shaving cream – everyone except one, grew a beard and never shaved.
- Baby Powder
1. It will be cool crossing the north Atlantic. The average air temperature will be about 59 degrees and vary from a high of 75 to a low in the high 40’s. Most temperatures will be between 55 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. The race will be mostly a down wind race
2. No luggage on board, pack your clothes in a soft bag or duffel bag.
3. All clothes should be marked with your initials.
4. All dirty/wet clothes will go into the port locker in order to keep the boat livable.
5. Clothes for England will be send in the container
6. Remember: Lightness is next to Godliness”
7. Anyone planning to say over in England have a blazer and tie shipped or brought to Bermuda by your significant other.